The holiday season is the most important time of the year for retailers, so it's important that you stay up-to-date on all the latest trends and predictions. Here are a few things you should know:
- All about mobile: According to Adobe's holiday shopping forecast, transactions on mobile devices will account for 31 percent of all online shopping done on Thanksgiving day, as opposed to 21 percent last year. This represents an impressive 48 percent year-over-year increase.
- Brick-and-mortar: According to Under Armour CEO Kevin Plank, brick-and-mortar retail will never become irrelevant, even as mobile sales show amazing growth. "It's critical that you have it. People need to go places; they need to see things; they need to touch things," he said to Businessweek. "But … the idea—or the cliché—of omnichannel retail is a reality. It's happening. Our mobile business, for instance, is extraordinary. Literally, three years ago it was nonexistent, and now it's over half of our business.
- Digital retail: Adobe's study forecasts that mobile devices will generate $1.6 billion in total sales on Thanksgiving, Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Including desktop purchases, digital sales are expected to reach $6.5 billion.
- iBeacon: Of the mobile marketers surveyed, 18 percent are planning on using iBeacon to zero in on consumers. Next year experts predict that twice as many will take advantage of the technology.
- Fourth quarter: November and December will account for 27 percent of all online retail sales.
- Holiday sales: The largest sales and lowest prices of the season will occur on Thanksgiving day, with an average discount of 24 percent. More people than ever will be shopping on Thanksgiving day. Online sales are expected to reach $1.35 billion, a 27 percent increase from last year and a record for the holiday.
- Social networks: Of 18 to 34-year-olds, 40 percent will look to social networks for gift ideas.
Make sure your company is operating with the best credit card pos software this holiday season, to make all your transactions seamless and efficient.